Medical Information

Guidance notes for sickness and medicines

What will happen if my child is ill during the school day?

If your child becomes ill during the day, he or she should report to Student Services and he or she will be seen by a fully trained member of staff, who will advise as to whether your child will need to go home or can continue in school. In the event of your child needing to go home, a member of staff will contact you. Students should not ring their parents during the day asking to be collected from the school because they do not feel well.

Prescription Medicines

If there are occasions when your child needs to bring prescribed medicines into school, they should be left with the designated staff in Student Services. You will be required to provide written permission for administration and full directions for use as well as completing a Health Care Plan afterwards. These will be reviewed when necessary but always annually.
Prescribed medicines should always be delivered to school in its original container and clearly labelled with the following information:

  • Student’s name
  • Name of medication
  • Dosage
  • Frequency of dosage
  • Date of dispensing
  • Storage requirements
  • Expiry date (if applicable)

These medications will be kept in the First Aid room in a locked cabinet and will be made available to students as required. The date, time and dosage taken will be recorded by a suitably trained member of staff.
If your child already takes prescribed medication during the course of the school day, this will continue to be the case, and the trained member of staff will administer the medication according to the directions currently held on file. Your child’s Pastoral Support Assistant will contact you after half term to arrange a meeting to discuss any issues or concerns which you may have.

Year Group Leader of Learning Pastoral Support Assistant
7 Miss Wright Mrs Andrews
8 Miss Berrington Miss Jones
9 Miss Tye Mrs Evans
10 Mr Reed Mrs Allum
11 Mr Reed Mrs Scott

Epipen and asthmatic inhalers

The procedures for students who require an epipen or inhaler have not changed. Students should carry their own epipen or inhaler. All epipen and inhaler users are required to supply the school with two labelled spares which will be stored in Student Services at Waynflete and St Johns. Students will know where their spare device is stored in case of an emergency. It is not the School’s responsibility to check and inform parents about expiry dates.

Non-prescription Medicines

We are no longer able to hold non-prescription drugs in school for students. If it is anticipated that students will need to take a non-prescription drug, e.g. a hay fever tablet, during the course of the school day, the student should bring in sufficient medication for that day only and the form “Request for Child to carry own medication” should be completed and returned to student services where it will be kept on file. A separate form should be completed for each medicine a student is to carry. If your child takes prescribed paracetamol for example this would then be administered and stored as per the guidelines above for prescribed medication. The request form is also available at main reception and Student Services.